Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp
December 14, 2023 (3 months ago)
WhatsApp has become a compulsory part of our lives as it is helping us to connect with people all over the world. Over 100 billion messages are shared every day on this platform with end-to-end encryption. End-to-end encryption keeps messages b/w sender & receiver. Sometimes you want all your chats alive to keep all the memories saved. But sometimes with some contacts, you don’t want those messages to stay longer. For example, you sometimes share critical info with someone or connect with someone for a short time. In this case, you want those messages to not stay longer. Hence we have introduced the disappearing message for your chats.
What is Disappearing Message?
Disappearing message is a feature for WhatsApp chats to boost the privacy of conversations. When you enable this feature, the sent message will disappear from the chat after the selected time. In one-to-one chat, both users are allowed to enable this feature. While in groups, only group admins can enable/disable this feature. Here in this section, we will explain the process to enable or disable the disappearing message feature.
How to Enable/Disable Disappearing Message?
The disappearing message feature will help you enhance your privacy in conversations and groups. Here we will enlist the steps to enable/disable this feature in one-on-one chat and WhatsApp groups respectively.
- To enable the Disappearing feature in one-on-one conversation, tap on the profile image of the contact.
- It will open the profile image with some options below it.
- Look for the (i) icon to launch the contact info.
- Now scroll down to find the “Disappearing message” option here.
- Turn on or off this feature for this particular contact. Once you enable the feature, it will ask you to continue and then select the time.
- You can select 24 hours, 7 days, or more as a disappearing duration.
- For group chats, only the admin can manage this feature to turn it on or off.
- If you are a group admin, then tap on the group icon and go to its info.
- Now tap on “Disappearing Message” and turn it on or off.
- If you choose to turn it on, then you have to select the duration for messages to disappear from groups.